Something one of my students had difficulties with was following smile with a preposition. She would always say something like “The man smiled me and went away”. Well, this one’s for you! 🙂
Let’s look at some verbs which can be followed by prepositions.
I’ll take 8 of them that I often use.
|Look at||Look for|
|Care about||Care for|
|Worry about||Smile at||Wait for||Listen to|
As you can see, 2 of them can be used with a different preposition. Let’s look at them in more detail:
When you look at something, you just use your eyes to see it.
For example, I’m pretty sure that now you’re looking at the picture of the woman I put below. 😉
Looking for something means you’re trying to find it.
If you lost your phone, for example, you’d have to look for it or buy a new one.
While care about and care for could both be used in some situations, let’s look at the different meanings they have
Care for can mean:
1) Do the necessary things for someone who needs your help (I care for my grandparents because they can barely move)
2) Love someone like a friend (Even though he was married, it was Jessica, his best friend, who cared for him and even saved his life).
3) Treat something so carefully that it stays in good condition (I care for my computer. In the 7 years I’ve used it, I only had to fix it once)
You may have noticed that the people or things in the sentences are in bold. That’s because the first 2 meanings are used for someone and the last one is used for something.
Care about can mean:
1) Have something or someone be interesting to you (I care about music and I listen to a lot of different musicians when I have time)
2) Have something or someone be important to you (I really care about you, I want you to marry me!)
I don’t think I need to explain what the other words mean, but it would be a shame if we didn’t practice these words so here are a few exercises for you:
Here are two personal questions I’d like to ask you: what do you care about and what are you waiting for in the next couple of days? Leave a comment to let us know and I hope you enjoyed the activities I’ve been making. 🙂